Wednesday, January 14, 2009

that mean boy

Today I took Tempe and Helena to Arctic Circle for an ice cream and so that Tempe could play on the indoor playground. It was crowded, but we managed to find a table to sit at in the corner. Tempe ran off to play while Helena and I ate our ice cream.
Tempe isn't at all shy, of adults or of other kids, and so it was perfectly natural for her to see a boy a few years older than she was by the slides and go say hi to him. I could see that she was smiling at him and saying something, but I don't know what they were talking about. The next thing I know, "that mean boy" pushed her away, and then put his hand on her head and pushed it down so that it hit against the side of the playground. I, of course, got up and rushed over and he scampered off when he saw me coming. Poor Tempe was crying pretty hard, and I could tell it was more because her feelings were hurt than anything. She was trying to be nice to him and make friends and he reacted like that? I would be hurt, too!
So I comforted her, all the while scanning the room, trying to figure out who that bratty boy belonged to. Nobody got up to apologize, even though we were very conspicuous because she was crying so hard. I finally figured out who he belonged to. An elderly man who was sitting inside the restaurant, not by the playground, and who was completely ignoring his obviously disturbed grandson. I saw the same little boy push another kid and stand in front of the slide, blocking it from Tempe and another girl. That time I went over, tapped him on the shoulder, and said "You let them play. And don't push anyone again!" It scared him.
I wish parents/grandparents wouldn't allow their children to treat others like that. It's not fair to the kids who do play nice.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, I didn't see the mean comment that someone made on your trends post that made you want to delete it, but I did get to read the post before it was gone. I thought it was exactly right! I guess I've taken for granted the people here in Laramie and how unassuming they are when it comes to clothes/fasion trends/etc. but when I go back to Utah I get the same vibe as you have. I'm not saying it's bad, but I did have a hard time when I was in a ward where the entire primary presidency wore knee high black leather boots with shorter skirts every week. I felt pretty out of place with my plain black long skirt and blouse. Anyway, I hope they weren't too rude to you, Kate, I can't think of a nicer person than you. We all just have a hard time with the truth sometimes I think- especially when doesn't justify our way of thinking.
Also good job on putting the mean kid in his place. Poor Tempe. I can picture that happening to TJ too and I don't think I'd be very nice about it.

Jamie said...

Poor Tempe! I would have been tempted to pull that boy by the scruff of his neck and deliver him to his parent-or-guardian! I think you reacted appropriately and maybe your words will make him think before he acts like a brat towards the other children.
Makes you wonder what he is being taught at home.

Followers