Sunday, April 27, 2008

Baby blessings, the MTC, and CougarTown

I haven't posted in a few weeks, and that's because we have been very busy! My mom arrived on April 15th and was with us for a few days before the rest of the family arrived for Helena's blessing. We had a fun time taking Tempe and Helena shopping, to story time, and to the children's museum. Unfortunately, Tempe has been feeling a little sick and grumpy, and she has completely gone back to needing her binky all the time--but if that is the worst thing she will do while adjusting to a new baby, I think I'm pretty lucky!

On April 19th, my dad and brothers Josh and Jeff and sister Kelsey arrived, and so did Jason's parents and sisters Corinne and Katelyn, brothers Austin and Jonathon, and Jonathon's wife Rachel and their two girls Maddy and Libby. We had quite a full house! The next day Jason blessed Helena in our ward sacrament meeting. It was a beautiful blessing and we were so thrilled that we could have it here in Laramie with all of our friends before we move away. Here are some pictures of everyone gathered together after the blessing!Jason's family had to rush back to Utah for a stake fireside, but my family stuck around until Monday afternoon. I hadn't been planning on going to Utah with them, but they convinced me to come, so I quickly packed stuff for me and the girls and made sure Jason had enough food in the house (so that he wouldn't go out to eat every single night). It was kind of a hard trip, because Tempe wasn't feeling at all well and she was really fussy, but we still had fun. It was so wonderful to be able to go to the MTC with Josh! I was able to go with Tyler a year a half ago, and I was so happy that I got to have that experience with Josh, too. Josh is supposed to email us all tomorrow, so I can't wait to hear how his first week as a missionary has been! Check out this article that the Nashville paper did about him: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200804250210/COUNTY090101/804250352
While we were in Utah we also went to BYU and I was able to see one of my old friends before she graduated and headed back east. I took Tempe to the duck pond and she had fun chasing the ducks and throwing bread at them. When I was a student living south of campus, I walked past the duck pond every day on my way to and from school, and I always saw moms with their kids feeding the ducks. I always thought that after Jason and I got married, I would be one of those moms at the duck pond. Going to BYU at this time of year was actually pretty hard for me--it was graduation week and it was hard for me to see everyone on campus having what I want so badly. It seems really unfair sometimes. I can't say that I regret not graduating before getting married/having kids, because I wouldn't trade what I have now for a diploma, but I do feel very sad that I wasn't able to have both. I know that I will graduate someday--I only have 28 credits left--but it's not really the same. It's not the experience that I always expected I would have. I guess that's life, though, right? Things don't always go according to plan and you have to be flexible. I am so grateful that I was able to find a wonderful man to marry and that I have my two beautiful girls. There are a lot of girls that can't say that yet, and I'm sure they feel the same way I do--that they wish they could have had both.
If Jason had gotten into BYU Law, I would have graduated by now (hopefully!) but it wouldn't mean anywhere near as much to me as it will when I finally do graduate. Working so hard and for so long makes it so much more meaningful!!
Jason's aunt Margaret took some absolutely beautiful pictures of Helena while we were with his family in Utah--check them out in her blog!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Kate, I checked out the pics of Helena, she is a doll. So cute!!

Jen said...

Don't worry Kate. You'll graduate some day. I never thought I would make it back to school, but now at 25, I finally made it back. I'll be 26 before I graduate....that is so weird. You are so close to being done! I think you definitely can have both...a family and a degree!!

Followers