Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Count Your Many Blessings

Last night as I was holding Helena's hands together with one hand and holding her binky in her mouth with the other, in an effort to settle her down and help her sleep more soundly, I found myself wondering why she couldn't just be still and calm and let me get some good sleep! Really, she sleeps like a log all day long, but as soon as I start getting ready for bed, she wants to be snuggled and cuddled and she spends the whole night snorting and snuffling (if you've never shared a room with a newborn, don't be deceived: they are loud. Whoever coined the phrase "sleep like a baby" didn't know what they were talking about).
This morning, even though I am tired and I wish I could crawl into bed and sleep undisturbed for days, I realize how lucky I really am. First of all, even though it's hard for me to sleep with Helena, at least she is asleep! I'm not up pacing the floor with a crying baby for hours on end, or trying to entertain a baby that is wide awake in the middle of the night. At least I can lay down with her and close my eyes and rest. And really, I do get some sleep, just not as much as I am used to! So really, I'm pretty lucky. It could be worse.
And of course, I am so grateful that I am up at night with my daughter, because that means I have a beautiful, healthy child. It's such a blessing to have her and Tempe in my life, and if that means I miss out on a little sleep for a few years, it's completely worth it. I wouldn't trade the two of them for all the sleep in the world!

0 comments:

Followers