Thursday, July 31, 2008

Two {Tags}: Part 1a

I am now officially a blogger--I have finally been tagged! In fact, I am DOUBLE a blogger because I was tagged twice. So here ya go:
{5 bands I listened to in high school}


Tim McGraw? What?! I know, I know, I really don't like country music... now. But when I was 15 and living in rural North Carolina, OF COURSE I liked Tim McGraw! And Kenny Chesney, too. In fact, I still like Tim McGraw's song "Something Like That". But now, I really can't abide country music, except for Rascal Flatts, who is probably considered crossover. But there you have it.


The first Something Corporate song I heard was "Constantine" and I loved it right away. I also really like "If U C Jordan" and "Punk Rock Princess" (I fancied myself a pUnK rOcK pRiNcEsS when I was in high school... sometimes). But the best thing about Something Corporate in my opinion is the name of this album: Leaving Through the Window.


How can you have teenage angst without listening to Dashboard Confessional? Even now, years after he was really big, my teenage sister and brother listen to him. I love Dashboard Confessional. I am happily married now, but I'm still young enough to remember how unrequited love feels *sigh*. I like the song where he gets mad and yells "And no one is waiting for you!" (I don't know any of the names of his songs). And of course, "Hands Down" is a great song for when you are happy with your love life.


I really, really like afi. Especially this cd, "Sing the Sorrow". Again, I don't know the names of the songs... when I was in high school, my brother Tyler had a burned copy of this cd, but it was burned out of order, so when I heard the real cd I was all mixed up because the songs were all playing in a different order than I was used to. We used to listen to this cd on the way to school. I like their most recent album, too--"Decemberunderground". It has a marching anthem on it, and a secret code in one of the songs--a phone being dialed along with the music. Jason and I think if we can figure out what number they are calling, we can call it and get a secret recorded message about the next meeting of the afi fan club, the Despair Faction.


Finally, Taking Back Sunday, which was my absolute favorite band for many, many years. I still really love their first album (Tell All Your Friends), but their other stuff is pretty mediocre. But I can never get enough of Tell All Your Friends. My favorite is the end of the last song, which goes "Don't call my name out your window, I'm leaving" (which sort of goes along with the name of Something Corporate's cd). I always wanted to say that to someone, but was never in a situation in which it would make any sense...

Whew! That was time consuming. I wanted to do a "5 bands I listen to now" post/tag along with this, but I will have to do that later.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Curtis likes a lot of that same music too. I try...and some of it I like, but some of it I just can't get into. I acted like I loved it though when we were dating :-) Curtis always makes fun of me because he said none of my country CD's came out until we were married...he had no idea :-)

Followers