Monday, September 8, 2008

Apple Party

Tonight the Anderson family celebrated Tempe's 2nd birthday and Corinne's 11th birthday--it was quite a party! For Tempe's party, I decided to do an apple theme. It all started when I found this cute dress at Target: it has green, fuchsia, and purple apples all over it. Isn't it cute?


After I found the apple dress, I had to think of other apple party ideas. I decided to make apple spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (yum, yum!):


And then I found an adorable idea in Family Fun magazine--miniature caramel apples! I made them by scooping little apple balls out of a big apple with a melon baller. Then I skewered them on lollipop sticks and dipped them in melted butterscotch (caramel doesn't work--it doesn't stick to the flesh of the apple!). I also rolled mine in sprinkles, and voila!


Tempe couldn't wait to eat her "baby apple"!

After I decided what kind of apple treats I was going to make, I decided to do a game: Pin the Apple on the Apple Tree! I made this by painting an old cookie sheet (non-aluminum) that I got at DI for $1. It was harder to do then I thought it would be! I think I should have sanded the cookie sheet lightly so that the paint would stick better. The apples are wooden cutouts that I got from a craft store, painted, and stuck a magnet to. They also doubled as the invitations--all of the information was printed on a piece of paper glued under the magnet.


Tempe had a great time at her party. All day long she went around the house saying "Happy birthday party! Happy birthday Tempe!" Unlike last year, she liked all the attention on her while she opened her presents, although she lost all interest once she got to this present:


Now Tempe can really be Grash's (giraffe's) mommy! She was so happy when she opened this present. She gave it a huge hug and climbed off her chair, carrying it around the room. We ended up opening up the rest of her presents for her because she was so enthralled with her giraffe costume. She also got two toy food sets, a doctor's set, a few books, a puzzle, some clothes, two purses, a doll, a treasure chest filled with jewelry (I made the treasure chest!), and an aquadoodle. It was quite the haul!

Finally, the time came for birthday cake. Tempe had helped me make the apple cupcakes in the morning, and all day long she was asking me for birthday cake. She blew out the candles, took two bites, and--was done. She climbed down and went to play on the sport court.
I can't believe that my little baby is two! Well, she will be on Wednesday, the 10th. It has gone by so fast. She brings such joy to our family! Every day is a new adventure with her and I am so grateful that I get to be her mother.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Tempe!!

first lady said...

Happy birthday Tempe !!

I made those exact little apples for the first day of school snacks. My kids loved them too. I agree the butterscotch is a much better choice.

Margaret said...

It was fun being at Tempe's party! I loved how excited she was about the giraffe costume!

The Colvins said...

Wow! You are so crafty! Sounds like a fun party! Happy Birthday Tempe!

Followers