Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day at the Cabin

Happy September!! I love September (well, all of autumn) for a few reasons:

  1. My little Tempe was born in September--the 10th!

  2. I loved going back to school as a kid, and so September still excites me.

  3. I love the crisp air, the changing leaves, apple cider, and wearing sweaters.
We spent a wonderful weekend at the Anderson cabin: the Da Vinci of log homes (that's what it was called on the brochure). The weather wasn't fabulous (rainy and in the 50s), but that just gave us the opportunity to cuddle under blankets, play games, and watch movies.

We did brave the weather a few times to go out on the ATVs: during one of our rides, it started to rain and then hail, and we barely made it back before we were soaked. My poor brother-in-law Jonny and his wife Rachel got caught in it, and they were completely soaked, from head to toe. Poor Rachel was cold the rest of the day! Going for rides is Tempe's favorite part of going to the cabin. When we told her we were going to Grandpa's cabin, she said "Big ride! Big bumpy ride!" She had fun going on her "big bumpy rides".

Tempe and Maddy had a fun weekend playing together. They ran up and down the big hallway upstairs, screaming like banshees, bounced on the beds and said they were riding elephants, read books, and fought (but only a little).

Even thought Libby is one of the "big girls" now, she loved spending time with Helena. She gave her so many kisses and gentle pats! She really loves babies and Helena loves the attention.

There are several moose that have chosen our swing set as their favorite spot to rest, and this is one of them! He is the biggest one we've ever seen up there, and he was completely unafraid of us. At first when we went outside, we stayed back pretty far, but then we started getting closer, and closer, and closer. He just watched us and laid there. Austin got about 12 feet away from him. He finally stood up when it started to rain, and we all ran screaming to the house. Even then, he didn't pay any attention to us.

I love going to the cabin. When I was a little girl, we always went to my grandfather's retirement place: "The Property" before the house was built, "Blue Run Farm" after. I have so many great memories of exploring the woods and creek, riding on the tractor, having bonfires and roasting marshmallows, and playing games with my cousins. I love that my little girls will grow up with the same experiences at Grandpa's cabin. It is such a special place for our family to gather!

1 comments:

Jen said...

I just love family-get-togethers. Looks like you guys had lots of fun. I wish someone in my family had a cabin. Maybe me and Curtis will have one someday...that's a BIG maybe though. Never hurts to dream though, right?

Followers