Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Pam, I have ideas on a daily basis, I know I do..."

Just like Michael Scott, I, too, have great ideas (maybe not on a daily basis, but pretty often). If I had any idea of how to manufacture things or run a business, I could probably make a lot of money. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with my ideas other than have them. So here are some of my brilliant ideas:

  • Triangular crayons. Who else is tired of crayons rolling off tables all the time?
  • A washing machine/dryer combination. Wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to wait for your laundry to finish so you could switch it? You would just put it in one machine, and several hours later come back to washed AND dried clothes. Edited to add: Found this listing on Craigslist... darn.
  • The Re-Gifting Store. I put this in bold because it is the best idea yet. Anyone who has gotten married would appreciate this. All couples get a dozen blenders, but no toasters, or nine knife sets, but no cutlery, or whatever. For us, it was Foreman grills. We got about five. But food processors? None! Some of the excess gifts are returnable, but some of them you get stuck with. So, you take them to The Re-Gifting Store where you are paid 30% of the value in cash, or get 40% of the value in store credit. Then the new, unused gifts are sold for 75% of their value. So if you have a dozen blenders but no toasters, you can sell your blenders to the store and then buy a new toaster. Everyone wins!!!! The more I think about it, the more I think it's an absolutely brilliant idea.

Well, I know I have had other great ideas, but I can't remember them. I guess that's another way I'm like Michael Scott.

Edited to add: I remembered another one. This is something that you don't have to actually buy or make, you can just do. If I wash something that isn't supposed to go in the dryer, I have a hard time remembering NOT to put it in the dryer, so I use a dry erase marker to write on the washing machine "Black dress" or "Sweater" or whatever to remind myself when I am changing the laundry.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Great ideas, Kate!! We got 5 George Formans too. How funny! We just stored the gifts we couldn't return and re-gifted them later. I like your idea of a Re-gift store though. Brilliant!

Rachel said...

Hey, I'll buy some of those triangular crayons! What a great idea!

first lady said...

I have found triangle crayon... just 2 weeks ago funny that u mention it I HAVE them :)

Tricia and Jon said...

I love the re-gifting store! You know, they actually have your washer/dryer combos in Europe due to space limitations, and they are great!

The Colvins said...

Kate--great ideas! I absolutely love the re-gifting store!

Stephen and Jeanne said...

Sorry, Kate, triangular crayon idea taken. You can buy them at Walmart. They are so much better!

Followers