Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Thrifty

I am really trying to find ways to cut down on our spending and free up some money to save each month--especially after we buy a house. So here is what I've come up with so far:

  • Got the girls on CHIP and bought private insurance for myself instead of going with the company plan--saves us $600-1200/year.
  • Switched auto insurance to AAA. We save around $10/month AND we got a AAA membership.
  • Make my own baby food. I haven't started this yet, so I'm not sure exactly how much it will save, but I'm guessing it will save $20/month (maybe more!)
  • If I get really desperate I can either potty train Tempe or switch to cloth diapers.... yuck :(
  • Pay more attention to store ads and plan my menus according to what is on sale.
  • Start couponing. Yikes. This is so complicated. I don't know where to start! If anyone has any tips, please let me know.
  • Buy clothes secondhand (I've been doing this for years).
  • Shop for Christmas/birthdays throughout the year when things are on sale.
  • Use Coinstar machines to get Amazon giftcards to use for gifts (something else I've done for years).

That's all I can think of now. It doesn't seem like much... What I really need is ideas on how to save on our grocery bill when we move out. Everyone, add your ideas/tips as a comment!

0 comments:

Followers