Monday, December 15, 2008

House # I forgot how many we have seen now


On Saturday, I (Jason stayed home with the girls because it was snowing and we didn't want to take them out) went to see a house that I thought I would love. And I was right! I did love it!
The house is a 100-year-old craftsman bungalow in the heart of Bountiful, just a block south of the Tabernacle. I have always loved that style of home and always wanted to live in that sort of neighborhood--old homes with plenty of character, near shops and other downtown amenities. It would completely solve our transportation dilemma, because I could walk to the library, post office, grocery store, park, and all kinds of cute shops. So those are two things that really attracted me to this house.
The other thing that made me really want to go see it was the bathroom. IT HAS A CLAW FOOT TUB. Can you believe it?? A claw foot tub! What more could you ask for?? Not only does it have a claw foot tub, but it also has one of those sinks that is like a bowl set on the counter (I like those), which is granite, I might add. It's absolutely gorgeous.
The house has a front porch with a swing, a large lot with mature trees and landscaping, a formal living room with built in bookshelves, 10 foot coved ceilings upstairs, a basement family room, the aforementioned gorgeous full bath + a 3/4 bath in the basement, a master bedroom with sitting room, a mudroom, a giant updated Pottery Barn-esque kitchen with bar, a built in desk, and two other rooms that would work well as bedrooms for the girls (one is in the basement and one is off the master sitting room, but it doesn't have a closet so it can't be considered a bedroom). Click on the picture to see pictures of the interior of the house. Whew! Needless to say, I was walking around in awe, as was my realtor (it was her first time going to this house). I was ready to sit down and pull our other offer and write a new one for this house.
And then we went down to the basement.
Ok, I'm not very tall. I'm not even 5'1. And my head was about four inches lower than the ceiling in the basement. I'm serious; my realtor, who is about 5'9, Jason's height, almost had to duck her head to walk around.
It was so disappointing! Unless it dropped about $30,000, we wouldn't want to risk losing money trying to (someday) sell a house that lots of people couldn't even stand up straight in.
I've been thinking about it all day and yearning for it. That's right, yearning. I want it. I loved it so much, and if it weren't for the resale value, I would still want to buy it.
In other house news, today is our official deadline. Can you believe six weeks has gone by? But we aren't going to hear anything today; the listing agent says ours is the only offer they have but it isn't ready yet. He swears it will be signed by the end of the week. He said that last week, too. Our agent told him that she has taken us to several other houses and that we're starting to get impatient. I don't think that will help any. The bank is just going to take their time, and what are we going to do about it? Nothing. If we tried threatening them and saying we'll walk away, they would say "Fine. Walk away. We already lost money, we'll just keep trying." And we have nothing to walk away to, so for now, we are stuck.
And this is my 100th entry.

1 comments:

The Colvins said...

Kate, what a cute house and it sounds like it has so much charm--even with the low ceiling basement! Good luck in your house hunting--I know it can be so frustrating--you've had to look at more houses than we ever did--hopefully you'll find something that's right for your little family soon!

Followers