Sunday, April 12, 2009

I miss my old friends, too

Moving to a new area is hard, and I know it, but I always forget until I'm doing it again. I know that it takes about a year to really feel at home and make friends, but that year is so hard! I have only lived in our new house for two months, but it feels like forever, and I am just having the hardest time making friends. Our neighborhood doesn't have a lot of little children or stay-at-home-moms, like I thought it would. Our ward was really friendly at first, but there are never any activities or opportunities to get to know anyone better. 

I really miss my old friends in Laramie. A lot. I miss my old neighborhood. I miss going for walks with Denise. I miss going to playgroup (SO MUCH). I miss playing at the neighborhood park with the Smiths (both Smiths), the Meads, and the Faulkners. I miss going to the library and seeing people I know there. I miss knowing I would have someone to sit with in Relief Society every week. I miss not being nervous about going to Enrichment activities. 
I keep telling myself that I need to give myself more time and not worry, and remember--it takes a year. I tell myself that if I still feel this way in the fall, then I can worry. But it's still hard!
Doesn't anyone from Laramie want to move into my neighborhood? There are two houses for sale!

4 comments:

Christie said...

Poor Kate. I HATE moving and making new friends too. Don't laugh, but I admit I've prayed for friends. Even as an adult. I know you'll find friends eventually, but in the mean time you have my sympathy. :(

Rachel said...

I'll move into your neighborhood!!! Just keep the houses open for another year or so:) We miss you too Kate! I think of you all the time when we're at playgroup or for Enrichment activities. You were really one of the ones who helped me feel welcome and loved my first year in Laramie so thank you for that. I hope you'll start liking your ward and neighborhood better soon. It's harder in a bigger city to feel close to everyone- especially when they have family around so they don't HAVE to get involved with others. I wish you the best and hope it'll get better. I hate moving, and especially after having a great ward it's hard to move to one without a lot of people in your same situation. Good luck and we love you!

Denise Faulkner said...

You know that I would love to move to SLC!! It is really hard to make new friends and it is so important for stay at home moms to have people to connect with , I hear ya. It really takes time! Try the library or look to see if there is a play group in the area is my only suggestion.
Well I'm not moving there anytime soon, but I will probably be visiting sometime this summer and I will call you!! We miss you too -- everyone has moved around me!

Candi said...

Hi Kate! I'm from Laramie AND I live in your neighborhood! And I know exactly how you feel. Except I've been here 3 years, and it really hasn't gotten any better. I've just given up trying. That's why I don't come over and introduce myself to new people anymore -- tired of the rejection. I'm glad you found my blog. I'm really sorry I can't go to RS, or I'd come sit by you.

Followers