Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mainstream appeal? No, thank you.

I have always wanted to be part of a cult following. The best definition I could find of this elusive state is not really a good definition at all: "A cult following is a group of fans devoted to a specific area of pop culture. These dedicated followings are usually relatively small, and often pertain to items that don't have broadmainstream appeal" (from Wikipedia). How can something be part of pop culture if it doesn't have mainstream appeal? 

Anyway, after much contemplation, I have determined that I am part of a cult following. I cult-follow (?) "Arrested Development", Fox's short-lived, underrated comedy about the most horrible people in America, the Bluth family. Jason and I came to the conclusion that I can count "Arrested Development" as something I cult-follow last weekend after a conversation about whether or not it's fan base is small enough. My argument was that too many people like it; it seems like most of my friends and family think it's hilarious. But Jason pointed out that most of my friends and family have the same taste as me, and that they are not an accurate sample of the population. So... yay! I am part of a cult following after all! And I did it before my 30th birthday! (I should add it to my list)



ps I also wish that I was part of a secret society.

1 comments:

Margaret said...

....but if you were part of a secret society, would you tell anyone? ;)

Followers