Sunday, June 22, 2008

Big Bellies

My big belly about 10 hours before Tempe was born.

Today I have been reminiscing about my pregnancies--don't worry. I'm not even near baby hungry yet! I am perfectly content to keep our family at this magical number for the next few years. Right now, everything is working out great with two kids. There are two parents, and when I'm alone with the girls, I still have two hands at least. Two kids fit in our car. Two kids fit in our double stroller. Two kids fit in the bike trailer. We will definitely want to add a third, and a fourth, and maybe a fifth and sixth child someday, but for now--two is good.
But I digress.
Today I was thinking about how much I enjoy being pregnant. Most women really don't like it, and if you look back in my archives far enough, you will find at least one entry about how miserable I was at the end of my most recent pregnancy. For the most part, though, I really enjoy it. I like that exciting feeling when the test comes up positive.I like feeling those fluttery little kicks and knowing it's my baby. I like going to the doctor every month, and then two weeks, and then once a week and finding out how much I have grown and how well the baby is doing. I even like having a big pregnant belly. I really, really like it! Maybe because it takes so long for me to get one. Even at 20 weeks, I still wasn't really showing with either of my girls. I go through a very long "fat stage", and I know people wonder if I'm pregnant but are afraid to ask. So when I am finally big enough that it's obvious, it's a relief!
Here's to pregnant bellies and all the joy they bring!
Edited to add: (I keep forgetting things) What really got me thinking about my pregnancies the other day was that I realized it was only two years ago that I was pregnant with Tempe, and now I have two kids! Isn't that weird? I guess that's what happens when you have two-under-two, but it just really hit me. I mean, two years ago I didn't even have one kid yet, and now I have two. How did that happen?!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Kate- You make an adorable pregnant girl:) You have the cutest big-little belly:) I love it!

Kathryn said...

Kate, totally agree with your post. I too am a pregnant belly lover and so enjoyed being pregnant. I felt almost sad when Cade was born as all those little belly feelings were gone and for months later poor Cory had to hear my say, "I miss my belly!" Here, here to the pregnant bellys I say!!

Janice said...

6 kids. I hope so you are a great mom. I loved being pregnant to. You get all this special attenion.

Kate said...

YES the special attention, too... lol I didn't put that, but that is one of my favorite things about it!!

Followers