Thursday, June 26, 2008

Looking back 5 years

I have been thinking a lot lately about how much I regret the way I acted and treated people when I was in high school--and even in college. Pretty much until I got married. Jason has made me a much, much better person. I used to be so petty. I had to be the center of attention and if I wasn't, then I wasn't happy. If someone else was getting more attention than I was (especially if it was from a boy), then I automatically didn't like them. It didn't matter how truly great a person they were. I did a lot of things that I didn't really care that much about just because I was petty and I didn't want someone else to do it without me. I didn't have a good understanding of how my actions affected people, and so I think I hurt and offended a lot of really good people.
I shudder when I think about some of the things I did, some of the things I said, and the way I acted sometimes. I hope that the people who knew me back then are understanding and have forgiven me for my jealousy, my insecurity, my gossip, my pettiness, my immaturity... I feel like I have really grown up a lot. I'm not perfect (by any means!) but I am getting better. Marriage has shown me that everything isn't always about me. I've learned to enjoy other people more and not always be so focused on my own needs.
I hope that Jen doesn't mind that I kind of stole her latest blog entry :) We were just talking about this, and so I'm glad that at least one other person feels the same way. Teenagers really are just so immature, and you don't recognize it in yourself until several years later, when it's sometimes too late to repair relationships. I hope that it isn't too late for me, and that I am able to reconnect with some of the people that saw me at my worst.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Kate, I have just reconnected with one such a friend after 12 years and it is as good as it ever was! We were so close, like sisters from another mother and our friendship went through turbulance and much of it was I was too gutless to stand up for her or what was right. Time in this instance does heal and I just so regret that I couldn't have been there as strong as ever through all our ups and downs... oh well no time like the present I guess!!

Jen said...

You are a great person Kate!! We all do dumb stuff as we go through life...but sometimes that is just the only way for us to learn. As long as we learn and grow from our mistakes, it is all worth it because it only makes us better people.

Looking back though...I wonder how you and I would have acted towards each other...funny to think about:)

Anonymous said...

Kate, I think all people eventually come to the realization that they made mistakes, mistreated loved ones, acting selfishly, etc. I have made many such mistakes in my life - mostly out of immaturity - sometimes I lay awake in bed and worry over past actions. The really great thing is that nobody is perfect, and time does heal. I imagine that when we reunite with our loved ones (either in this life or in the Spirit World), there will be forgiveness and understanding. I love you!

Followers