Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"Where are you from?" "I don't know."

My least favorite question to be asked, by far, is "Where are you from?"
I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.
I hate it because I'm not from anywhere.
Here is my life:

  • birth to 6 months: Virginia
  • 6 months-16 years: North Carolina
  • 16 years- 18 years: Pennsylvania
  • 18 years-20 years: Utah (BYU)
  • While I was a freshman at BYU, my family moved to Tennessee, which is where they are now.
  • 20 years-23 years: Wyoming.
  • Now: Utah

Where would you say you are from? I guess the obvious choice is North Carolina, but to be honest, I never really liked it there and I am so grateful that we moved to Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is where I finished high school and where I feel like I did a lot of growing... but I can't say I'm from there, because, well, I'm not. I haven't been back since my parents moved five years ago. I'm obviously not from Tennessee (I've never actually lived there) and not from Utah or Wyoming, either.

I'm just so tired of moving. I want to buy a house and stay there for a long time. I want to go places and see people I know--I miss that about Laramie a lot.

Most of all, I want my kids to know exactly where they are from.

0 comments:

Followers